The Giver. Chapters 8 and 9.
- What is the difference between being ‘assigned’ and being, ‘selected’?
- What do you think the Receiver meant when he claimed Jonas had, “the Capacity to See Beyond”?
- What made Jonas feel “different” and “separate”?
- What name does the community give to the term, bedroom. Why do you think they call it that instead of bedroom?
- Indolence, solemnly, spontaneously, unnerving, anguish.
Kicked Out. Chapters 5 and 6.
- Are Gabe and Tiff good friends to Dime? Explain.
- Why did Dime go out the ‘preppy’ door?
- What really made Dime cry while watching “Old Yeller”?
- Why did Darren yell at Dime?
- When someone questions Dime’s decisions and life, what does she do?
- Scouted, stoop, mumbled, obvious, teased.
My Side of the Mountain. Pages #58-68.
- Why might it be dangerous for Sam to set his deer trap in the summer?
- Give one advantage and one disadvantage of the summer season.
- Why did Sam take the sparrow that Frightful had caught from her?
· Threadbare, frayed, recognition, steely, preening.
The Outsiders. Chapter 4.
- Why was the park a good place for Johnny and Ponyboy to cool off?
- What three things did Johnny say they needed to get out of their predicamet?
- What did Ponyboy say was the best way to deal with Buck Merril?
- What would your advice be to Johnny and Ponyboy if they came to you for help? Explain?
· Ruefully, hermit, premonition, unceasingly, finality.
Lord of the Nutcracker Men. Chapters 7 and 8.
- How has the way in which Johnny’s father ends his letters changed? Why do you think he has made this change?
- Do you think Mr. Tuttle knows it was Johnny who ruined his roses? Explain.
- Johnny’s father uses an analogy to explain how it felt to leave his trench. What is an analogy? What analogy does he use? Why is this analogy effective?
- Why was the letter Johnny’s father wrote to him in this chapter Johnny’s favourite? What does this tell you about Johnny’s understanding of the War?
- Loath, blight, barren, parapet, barricade.
- Nuisance, kinship, lunatic, sergeant, sniper.